Friday, April 25, 2014

The New New Year’s Day!




I’ve found myself wondering why I attempt New Year’s resolutions in January. Why does the date matter? Why do I deceive myself into believing that a “new year” will make a difference in my habits? Why do I think that in the new year I will have power to change a habit that I didn’t have the day before? What power does the date have anyway? 

What if Easter Sunday became my new New Year’s Day? On this day we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord. On this day we remember the One who has the power over death and every deadly habit. On this day we rejoice that the very Breath of Life has set our once-dead souls to dance and spin in newness of life.
This power, living and breathing in us, is stronger than every bad habit. This power transforms our works from filthy rags to wedding dress white! 

Why would I not choose to re-commit to living according to the pattern of teaching set out for me by my King on this day? This day has embedded the reminder of the very source of my strength. It would be crazy to remember a commitment made on Resurrection Sunday and not to also consider the very source of any hope I have of faithful living.  

Resurrection Sunday is the day of new beginnings!


Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God. For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of  the Spirit. Romans 7:4-6 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment